Friday, January 2, 2009

Goals

I was back at the gym today after two days off. I feel such a sloth when I miss more than a couple of days. Today it was legs complete with suitcase deadlifts, RDL, glute-ham raises and single leg hip bridge lifts. I’ll be lucky if I can get out of bed tomorrow; but I surely can’t think of a better way to start 2009 than doing my beloved deadifts. :) It is the one exercise that makes me feel strong. I didn't set any personal records today, but I lifted 5 sets of 10 at 155 pounds on the RDL. 60 pound DB's for the suitcase DL. Next week's goal: 65-70lb DB and 165 RDL.

The gym was full of “new years resolutioners” when I got there today. Unfortunately, statistics prove that despite all the good intentions of losing their newfound holiday weight compounded with already being overweight will be lost within a few short weeks and even days. I wish it weren’t so. I wish that each “resolutioner” makes the small changes in their life to make their goals more manageable. I no longer believe in resolutions. I believe in setting daily, weekly, monthly goals. Smaller, more manageable and far less daunting than saying I need to lose 50 pounds in 2 months. I put a lot of pressure on myself to achieve my goals, but it’s been working for me so far. How about you?

No comments: